Madison County Historical Society

 
 

Madison County History

 
 
History Through the Ages of People, Places, and Things
 
 
MCHS e-Newsletter



Email Marketing by VerticalResponse

The artist's rendering left shows the third Madison County Courthouse which was built in 1839 on the site now occupied by the Madison County Government Center.  It was from its cupola that William Harris made his daring escape in 1841.

People came from miles around to watch basketball at the Wigwam.  Jumpin' Johnny Wilson and others played there. 

Sectional tournament play was a staple at the Wigwam with packed crowds and enthusiastic students and fans as eager spectators.

Delco Remy began in 1896 by the Remy brothers and was known as the Remy Electric Company.  In 1926, it became Delco-Remy, a division of General Motors.  At its peak, the company employed 18,230 workers.  The plants were closed in 1994.

 

Madison County's George Bauner went from an indentured servant during the war to Civil War hero.

George Washington Marquis was wounded at the Second Battle of Bull Run.  His sister, Elizabeth, successfully had him released into her care.

 

Francis Van Pelt was an inspiration to the men in his command.  During many campaigns, he received battlefield promotions for his bravery and tactics.

Doxey rose through the ranks to command his own company during the Civil War.  He later became a member of the U. S. House of Representatives and one of Anderson's leading citizens.

 
 

Race tracks were often on a farm or started by several friends.

The standardbred has long been a favorite of Hoosier racers.

 

 
 

 In 1911, Ray Harroun averaged 74.59 miles per hour to win the first Indy 500.  His car was the 6-cycliner, one seater Marmon Wasp that he helped design.

It was 1933.  It was at the Legion Ascot Speedway in L. A. For Anderson's Bob Carey,  it was his third race of the season.

 
 
 
 

 

 

Vanished Villages
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 
 
 

 Madison County Historical Society|15 West 11th Street, P. O. Box 696, Anderson, Indiana 46015-0696|(765)683-0052|madisonchs@sbcglobal.net