......To the Madison County Historical Society. MCHS was organized in 1884 and incorporated in 1926. From these humble and early beginnings, the Society has continued through the years with vigor, energy, and dedication on its mission to collect and preserve objects, artifacts, documents, and photographs pertaining to the history of Madison County, Indiana. Through research, education, and exhibition, we seek to interpret and prompt an awareness and appreciation for that history for the benefit of all generations.
At our home in downtown Anderson, there is a lasting record of a way of life preserved for all to see, treasure and enjoy. We welcome all who are interested in exploring our rich culture and social history. The earliest pioneers, seeking new homes and better farm land, came here when there were only Indian trails and buffalo tracks. They settled along the White River and small creeks in Madison County, encountering the Indians, clearing the timber and stayed because of the richness of the soil. Indiana was the cross roads to lands further west and many did pass through; however, those who remained, built homes, farms, businesses, churches, and communities. Our early history is interwoven with that of the Delaware Indians and those early pioneers who came to a new land. Their lives and courage should give us pause and inspiration to continue with the work we have set for ourselves and the Society.
First Indy 500 winner spent retirement years here
On May 1, 2016, the Harroun family and the Indiana Racing Memorial Association had a Memorial Marker Dedication for Ray at the Anderson Memorial Paark Cemetery. The marker can be seen any time at the cemetery.
"If the River Could Talk"
Throughout Indiana's Bicentennial year of 2016, Stephen T. Jackson, Madison County Historian, will be authoring "If the River Could Talk." The series of articles will appear here and in The Herald Bulletin.
This series will deal with places, events, and people that have shaped the history of the county along the White River.
The series is an officially endorsed legacy project of the Indiana Bicentennial Commission.
"Delco Remy - Products and History Revisited" Exhibit
The Remy brothers, Perry and Frank, began tinkering with and opened a wiring business in about 1896. Perry had conducted experiments with magnetos and by 1910 the company was producing 50,000 magnetos per year.
By 1911, the brothers had sold their business to Staughton Fletcher, Jr. and the Fletcher Savings and Trust.
A General Motors division flourished here for more than 75 years. That history will be celebrated with this exhibit which is now open until June 3rd.
Madison County Historical Society|15 West 11th Street, P. O. Box 696, Anderson, IN 46015-0696| |firstname.lastname@example.org|(765)683-0052
Control what you can, cope with what you can't, and concentrate on what counts.
Madison County History Center
15 West 11th Street, P. O. Box 696,
Anderson, IN 46015-0696
Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays
9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Last modified on Tuesday, June 21, 2016